What’s the Best Voltage Tester For Everyday Use in 2021?
You think only electricians need a few devices but are required in everyday life.
These devices primarily work towards ensuring the best safety for your electrical/electronic appliances. A voltage tester is undoubtedly one of the devices you can add to that list.
|Fluke 1AC-A1-II VoltAlert Non-Contact Voltage Tester
|Milwaukee 2202-20 Voltage Detector with LED Light
|Klein Tools NCVT-3 Voltage Tester
|TACKLIFE VT02 Non-Contact AC Voltage Tester
|Neoteck Non-Contact Voltage Tester
These nifty little gadgets come in handy more often than you think they do. Let’s say you are checking if a socket is working correctly or if a newly-bought device has trouble with earthing.
The best way to do that is to detect the voltage. In another instance, you may also have to get more accurate readings for obvious reasons.
Nowadays, non-contact voltage testers and voltage tester pens have become common. Yet, it does not mean that you can choose a random product and live with it. Depending on your proficiency with things electric and electronic, you may need advanced features and better build quality.
You may also have to check how the product works alongside other necessary tools like a digital multimeter. An NCVT is an essential part of an electrician’s toolkit. Therefore, you have to consider all these aspects while picking the best voltage tester for everyday use.
What we have done here is simple. We first made a huge list of the most popular voltage testers you can get today. Then, we filtered them based on their targeted user-base.
That is, we narrowed the list down to the best voltage testers for everyday use based on customer reviews and hands-on testing. We hope it helps.
Best Voltage Tester – Reviews & Buying Guide for 2021
Winner: Fluke 1AC-A1-II VoltAlert Non-Contact Voltage Tester
- Range: 90V to 1000V
- Size: 5.83” x 0.71” x 0.98”
One of the best products from Fluke, the Fluke 1AC-A1-II VoltAlert Non-Contact Voltage Tester, is currently the best voltage tester you can get for everyday use.
You do not have to be a skilled electrician to get started with the product. At the same time, despite being very user-friendly and well-designed, the voltage tester offers best-in-class accuracy as well.
When you start using this tester, you would also understand several technologies that Fluke uses for industry-wide standardization. We chose this product as the winner due to its cost-effective pricing.
- The convenient and ergonomic design is one of the first things you notice on this voltage tester. You can carry this product in your pocket or hook it up using the built-in mechanism. To complement the design, Fluke has designed the voltage-detection process quite impressively. It means you would not miss even a single reading.
- The system contains multiple indicators to let you know when it detects the voltage. On top of the beeper sound, the tip of the device would glow in red. However, you can disable the beeper option if you want to use the voltage tester in discrete situations. The availability of multiple detection steps is quite a noticeable feature.
- The seemingly small device performs a set of self-tests to provide the most accurate measurements. Fluke has used its Voltbeat technology to ensure this. It is a great thing to have, especially on a tester with an improved range of 90V AC to 1000V AC. The numbers translate to the fact that you can use the tester in household and commercial environments.
- As we said earlier, Fluke is one of the most trusted brands for electrical equipment. So, despite how affordable the product is, the company has ensured maximum security. CAT IV 1000V certification means the product can withstand environments with ample supply. As you can guess, the product has CE and CSA approval.
- Considering the features and build quality it packs, the Fluke 1AC-A1-II VoltAlert Non-Contact Voltage Tester is cost-effective. Even if you are an electrician’s apprentice, you can consider this product a worthwhile investment. In any case, you can expect this voltage tester to last for at least a few years.
- We are not exaggerating when we say the Fluke 1AC-A1-II VoltAlert Non-Contact Voltage Tester is an almost-perfect voltage tester. Apart from the typical defective pieces, the product does not have any cons. Some believe the beeping-glowing system could be made simpler a bit.
The additional control you have on the Fluke Voltage Tester is a great extra feature, indeed. It is great to have a voltage tester that you can carry around with minimal effort, you know. But, when it is time to do the job, the product would not let you down: it gives you super-accurate detection rates, no matter what the surface/environment is.
You would also love the terrific build quality of the Fluke 1AC-A1-II VoltAlert Non-Contact Voltage Tester. When combined with the expanded detection range, you can upscale your working domain without worrying about safety. By the way, if you are looking for a product that suits controls circuits, you can get a low-voltage version as well.
As you may have guessed from our comment, the Fluke 1AC-A1-II VoltAlert Non-Contact Voltage Tester has everything you would expect in the perfect voltage tester for everyday use. Whether you are an electrician, you would love the advanced features and security options within the package.
Finally, you do not have to spend a fortune to get the product, either. And it is a voltage tester that we can recommend to beginners, but it can also adapt to your growing needs, thanks to the expanded range.
Runner-up: Milwaukee 2202-20 Voltage Detector with LED Light
- Range: 50V to 1000V AC
- Size: 2” x 8” x 1”
If you think our winner pick is too feature-rich, you should consider the Milwaukee 2202-20 Voltage Detector with LED Light. Even though the product has been designed for residential and heavy-duty purposes, it has a more straightforward design and easy-to-use detection system.
The product can fulfill all the essential features you expect from an NCVT. Compared to our top pick, this voltage tester has a lower price tag. Again, because it comes from a trusted brand like Milwaukee, you do not have to worry about durability or safety.
- Compared to some of the advanced voltage testers on this list, Milwaukee 2202-20 Voltage Detector with LED Light has a more straightforward design. Milwaukee has done this without compromising the working potential of the device. For one, the built-in LED is very bright and shows you the way around, even in low-light environments.
- The manufacturer has added a CAT IV 1000V safety rating to stay compliant and secure in heavy-duty environments. It means you can remain confident even while dealing with larger electric or electronic equipment in your household. Professionally speaking, though, the product can keep up throughout your journey as an electrician.
- The Power On button on the Milwaukee 2202-20 Voltage Detector with LED Light works as an extra safety system. You can check for the green light to understand if the tester is functioning correctly. So, even though there are no self-testing options, you can stay confident about the functionality of the NCVT.
- We also loved that the product comes with an on-off button. The manufacturer has positioned this button on the top not to accidentally push it. It might seem like a simple feature, but it makes a massive difference in the field. The system uses AAA alkaline batteries, which are easy to find and replace.
- Customization is one thing you would miss while moving to the Milwaukee 2202-20 Voltage Detector with LED Light from our winner pick. As you can see, there is no option to disable the beeping system. We would have loved to see such a feature, especially considering that the product claims to be optimized for residential and commercial needs.
- While the Power On green light is quite handy, it does not compare with the continuous self-testing options we saw in the last product. Sure, this is not a big deal for most beginners, but professionals may have a different opinion. Again, we mention this in the first place because the product claims to be multipurpose.
The Milwaukee 2202-20 Voltage Detector design with LED Light requires some appreciation. It is not magic, but the pocket clip effectively keeps the voltage tester in an accessible space. It also works in sync with the non-contact voltage detection tech from the industry. Altogether, if you want to train your muscle memory for maximum results, this device is a fantastic tool.
The LED light in the package is also significant from a utility standpoint. As an electrician, you may have to work in different environments. The LED light included with the device is so bright and focused that you can find your way. When working in an environment with multiple sockets and ports, having a focused light to guide you is pretty awesome.
If you are looking for a basic voltage tester that does the job right, you cannot go wrong with the Milwaukee 2202-20 Voltage Detector with LED Light. It packs some of the best security options and features we can see in the industry at this point.
In the end, you have to pay a relatively lower amount as well, even as you enjoy the privileges of a long-term warranty and technical support. As we said, however, you must be ready to give up some customization/control options.
Alternative: Klein Tools NCVT-3 Voltage Tester
- Range: 12V to 1000V AC
- Size: 5.83” x 0.72” x 1.16”
The Klein Tools NCVT-3 Voltage Tester is a great alternative to consider if you did not like the ones we have already mentioned. This product from Klein Tools combines almost every feature you need as an electrician. You should keep in mind that you are paying extra for the rich features inside.
- The Klein Tools NCVT-3 Voltage Tester comes with a pretty expansive detection range of 12V to 1000V, which is impressive. Even if you have to rapidly change the environment where you want to detect the voltage, this tester pen can stay by your side.
- The device comes with a visual LED bar graph that will show you the presence of voltage and a relative quantity. For instance, if the device detects a high voltage, you can see more LEDs blinking. It is a great way to increase security as well.
- Thanks to the simple design we have explained before, it is effortless to use the Klein Tools NCVT-3 Voltage Tester. Even if you have zero experience with electrical appliances, you can use the device to detect the voltage while staying 100% safe.
- In addition to its multiple visual indicators, the voltage tester also has an audible indicator, which can work through a beep. Once again, the frequency of the beeping sound will increase if the device has detected a higher voltage.
- As you may have noticed, the Klein Tools NCVT-3 Voltage Tester does not offer much control over the detection process. We would have loved to see an option to turn off the audible/visual indicators in some situations.
The Klein Tools NCVT-3 Voltage Tester comes with quite a few extra features. First, the device has an auto-shut-down option that will conserve a lot of battery life. Similarly, the bright flashlight works even when you are not using the voltage tester. Therefore, it is a worthwhile addition to your overall productivity.
We should also note that you can use the device connected with other products from Klein Tools. If you have a multimeter from Klein Tools, for instance, this voltage tester will be a great companion. You can also benefit from the tremendous after-sales support from the company.
You should go for Klein Tools NCVT-3 Voltage Tester if you are willing to pay extra for better build quality and additional features. The built-in flashlight and the range-based beeping/LED options are a life-saver when dealing with multiple projects.
Alternative: TACKLIFE VT02 Non-Contact AC Voltage Tester
- Range: 12V to 1000V/48V to 1000V
- Size: 6.42” x 1.38” x 1.26”
If you are looking for some of the best features without spending too much, the TACKLIFE VT02 Non-Contact AC Voltage Tester is a great alternative. This product comes with unique features like dual range and buzzer alarm while costing a fraction of some other products.
- The TACKLIFE VT02 Non-Contact AC Voltage Tester comes with a rather innovative design with pretty accented buttons and holding options. You also get a powerful flashlight in the package if you want help during navigation.
- The voltage tester comes with adjustable sensitivity and dual-range testing options. You can choose between the ranges of 12V to 1000V and 48V to 1000V. There is also an option to adjust the overall sensitivity of the tester to detect the voltage with better accuracy.
- Unlike the other products we have looked at so far, the TACKLIFE voltage tester is multipurpose. You can use the same tool to detect Null Wire, Live Wire, and Electric Field Around. These features are time-savers for electricians.
- The product does not have trouble getting your attention whenever it detects the voltage. The combo action of the buzzer alarm and the LED flashlight is quite effective in this matter. The package even comes with two free batteries.
- Many people consider the TACKLIFE VT02 Non-Contact AC Voltage Tester to be an upgrade from old-school voltage testers. However, some customers have noted that the product is highly sensitive. It could have problems, in the end, depending on the project.
It is practically impossible to list all the additional features in this voltage tester package. Specifically, though, we loved the high-detail LED screen and the auto-shut-down functions. While the LED shows you accurate readings, the second feature can help you keep the battery long.
If you are looking for additional features, the TACKLIFE VT02 Non-Contact AC Voltage Tester will be an excellent option for you. However, considering that you spend a low amount, you should not expect the product to last for decades.
Alternative: Neoteck Non-Contact Voltage Tester
- Range: 12V to 1000V/48V to 1000V
- Size: 6.1” x 0.8” x 0.8”
The Neoteck Non-Contact Voltage Tester is also a device that prioritizes features over build quality. You can count on this product if you want additional features like auto-power off and multiple sensitivity options. It is also significant that you have to spend a low price.
- You would love the ergonomic design that the Neoteck Non-Contact Voltage Tester uses. It is very effortless to hold, and you can access the buttons with ease. Given that the device comes with a few buttons, the design complements the functions.
- Besides understanding the voltage, the Neoteck Non-Contact Voltage Tester can also tell you about Live/Neutral wires. Thanks to the audio-visual cues from the device, you can tell these apart with minimal effort.
- Once again, the product offers the privilege of adjustable sensitivity. You can choose between High, Medium, and Low levels of sensitivity to deal with different electrical setups. Generally, though, the setup tells us more about the situation you deal with.
- The alarm options on the device are customizable to the core. You can choose either feature to grab your attention whenever the device comes across the voltage. We must also note that the product is accurate in terms of numbers.
- The Neoteck Non-Contact Voltage Tester is made using PVC and ABS material, but they are not the most long-lasting ones. Therefore, you cannot expect this product to last for years. After a few years of continuous use, you will have to replace it.
Just like our second alternative, the Neoteck Non-Contact Voltage Tester comes with the auto shut-down as well as an included LED light. These features will come in handy while dealing with multiple devices and sockets.
You can choose the Neoteck Non-Contact Voltage Tester blindfolded if you are looking for time-saving and productivity-friendly features. Compared to the included features like customizable sensitivity and dual-range voltage detection, it is a pretty affordable deal.
Voltage Tester FAQ
Is a voltage tester the same as a multimeter?
No, a voltage tester is not the same as a multimeter. A multimeter is a device that shows you various information about a circuit or an electrical system.
On the other hand, a voltage tester will only detect the presence of voltage. It means you cannot know more about the quantity of voltage using a tester. However, both tools are excellent for ensuring maximum security.
Are non-contact voltage testers reliable?
Non-contact voltage testers are very reliable. Nevertheless, you must choose the product from one of the most trusted brands in the industry.
Because they are designed to be non-contact, you will not have to worry about shocks, either. Nowadays, most products come with higher security ratings, including CAT IV 1000V, for example.
How do you check if a wire is live?
You can check if a wire is live using a reliable non-contact voltage tester. The tester would tell you if the wire consists of the voltage. If it says yes, you can conclude that the wire is indeed live.
Some voltage testers can even detect a live wire nearby — without you having to touch it. By the way, it is also one of the most secure ways to check it.
Can a voltage tester shock you?
Ideally, a voltage tester cannot shock you. However, it works only if you are correctly holding the product. A non-contact voltage tester is more secure in this matter, as you can guess.
However, if you touch the probe element by mistake, you may receive a shock from the tester. It is why you should check the user manual before using these products.
Many of these products are not dedicated to household use, as you may have noticed.
However, we see that as an advantage. Over time, our households are filled with heavy-duty applications, and people need more powerful electrical systems.
Therefore, it is good to have a voltage tester to detect the voltage from various ranges. In the end, you do not have to spend anything extra on some fantastic features. Having said that, if the build quality is your topmost priority, you have plenty of options as well.