Most electricians will not think twice before telling you to spend as much as you can on a multimeter.
There is a good reason why. A multimeter is one of those devices you will need, regardless of the electrical project you take up. You do not even need to be a professional electrician to need a multimeter.
|#1||Klein Tools Electrical Test Kit 69149||9.7/10||Check Price|
|#2||AstroAI 6000 Counts True RMS Digital Multimeter||9.5/10||Check Price|
|#3||Greenlee 600V Auto-Ranging Digital Multimeter||9.4/10||Check Price|
|#4||INNOVA 3320 Auto-Ranging Digital Multimeter||9.2/10||Check Price|
|#5||Tekpower TP8260L Analog Multimeter||9.1/10||Check Price|
If you have a knack for all things electrical and want to ensure maximum protection accuracy, you should keep a multimeter at your disposal. You might need one while fixing a small problem in your electrical system or while setting up that super-expensive gaming rig.
While you can — and should — spend a good amount on a multimeter, you do not always have to.
Today, it is not that difficult to find a multimeter that does the job without costing you a fortune. However, this does not mean choosing a random product from the internet. Like most other products, multimeters also have different qualities and ratings.
Digital multimeters and fluke multimeters are just two of the significant categories in the industry. In the same way, you will not have trouble finding a multimeter under $50 or over $200. As a result, though, it is normal to get confused between the choices in a market.
Here is what we did, though. We asked many professionals to recommend the best multimeter they have purchased or used recently. Then, based on the criteria we mentioned earlier, we chose the best multimeter options you can find in 2021. We hope this guide makes things easier!
Best Multimeter For Electrician – Reviews & Buying Guide for 2021
Winner: Klein Tools Electrical Test Kit 69149
- Range: Manual
- Voltage: 600V
- Amps: 10A
- Resistance: 20M
The Klein Tools Electrical Test Kit 69149 is the best multimeter you can find in the market. As you probably know, Klein Tools has been active in the industry for decades. This particular electrical test kit has stayed as the favorite option of electricians and other professionals.
If you are looking for a wholesome electrical testing kit that does not rip your wallet, you can consider this choice. The manufacturer is doing a great job of extra features and security. It is one of the reasons why you can count on this manual-ranging digital multimeter for your various needs.
- As we mentioned, the Klein Tools Electrical Test Kit 69149 is very comprehensive. You can use it to measure the AC/DC voltage, DC, and resistance from various instances. Regardless of the scenario, you do not have to worry about security. The safety rating of CAT III 600V and the Class 2 insulation is one of the best safety combos you get in town.
- Apart from the MM300 Multimeter itself, the package contains a Non-Contact Voltage Tester and an RT105 Receptacle Tester. The former is useful when detecting the standard voltage in cords, cables, switches, outlets, and wires. As you can see, it is more compact and suits diverse scenarios. The third component in the kit, the receptacle tester, can quickly detect wiring problems.
- The NCVT-1 and RT105 Receptacle Tester come with unique sets of features. For instance, the Non-Contact Voltage Tester has an automatic turn-off feature that conserves battery backup. On the other hand, the Receptacle Tester can show you the problems with wiring configurations. It can also show you open ground, open hot, and open neutral situations using a simple set of signals.
- Adding to the electric testing kit’s comprehensive nature, the makers have included test leads for the multimeter. On the other side of the spectrum comes in-built batteries for the NCVT and the receptacle tester. The overall design allows you to start using the multimeter kit as soon as you open the package. We cannot say the same about many other multimeters in the market.
- We should also appreciate the bright backlit display you can find on the Klein Tools Electrical Test Kit 69149. This display panel is particularly great for providing a good view of the numbers even during darker environments. You can also improve the system by pairing it with a carrying case from the maker.
- We should note that the Klein Tools Electrical Test Kit 69149 is a manual ranging multimeter. While it is an okay choice for professionals, beginners may need time to master the manual ranging system. Of course, many professionals who do not want to compromise data accuracy prefer automatic ranging multimeters to manual-ranging ones.
- While the makers have done a great job with the overall build quality, some customer reviews blame the low quality of the leads. As a result, you may have incorrect details. On the bright side, the Klein Tools after-sales options are just excellent. Therefore, even if you end up with some flawed system, you will not have trouble replacing things.
You can hook up the Klein Tools Electrical Test Kit 69149 with an even better collection of accessories. You will not need any extra documentation to understand what you are doing.
When you look at your profession from a long-term perspective, this is a fantastic feature. Some of their products are so easy that they can turn anyone into a professional measurer.
Not even once did we think that the Klein Tools Electrical Test Kit 69149 is a subpar product. This kit comes with everything you need for measuring accurately. However, when we focus on the multimeter, it is a manual-ranging product and has a lower capacity of 600V.
While these are okay for specific needs, ultimate beginners may have a tough time using the product. Nevertheless, if you can take some extra effort to learn a few things, you cannot go wrong with this pick.
Runner-up: AstroAI 6000 Counts True RMS Digital Multimeter
- Range: Auto & Manual
- Voltage: 1000V
- Amps: Yes
- Resistance: Yes
You do not want the extra features we found in the winner pick. Instead, you need a feature-packed multimeter that does not compromise accuracy. In that case, you should check out the AstroAI 6000 Counts True RMS Digital Multimeter.
As you can guess from the picture itself, this product comes with more options than the first pick. Even though you miss the easy-to-use options like the receptacle tester, you can buy the same things using the money you save. It is also a great option for beginners who want to use the multimeter for troubleshooting and safety assurance.
- The AstroAI 6000 Counts True RMS Digital Multimeter is one of the most diverse digital multimeters you can find on the market. You can use it to measure AC/DC, AC/DC voltage, frequency, capacitance, duty cycle, resistance, continuity, diode, and temperature. However, the product does not cost too much. So, you can use it in household and industrial environments without a doubt.
- Despite all the features it packs in, the digital multimeter is very easy to use. It comes in handy for those who have started as an electrician. Since this multimeter is entirely digital and automatic-ranging, you can count on the accuracy from the beginning. The True RMS measuring option works on both AC and voltage.
- The company has also added a few features to increase convenience and durability. For instance, the auto turn-off feature increases the battery life of the machine. On the other hand, the hanging magnet and the kickstand can increase the diversity of scenarios where you can use the product. We also loved the data holding options, which come in handy while taking continuous measurements.
- Because the company has added so many features to the package, you may get confused first. It is where the detailed manual becomes helpful. The manual explains everything about the multimeter in simple language. Even if you have zero previous experience with digital multimeters, you can get a great start with the AstroAI 6000 Counts True RMS Digital Multimeter.
- It is worth noting that the manufacturer has not compromised security for the sake of features. AstroAI has included dual fuse tubes for providing the best experience, which offers double the level of protection. Therefore, even when trying to troubleshoot industry-level electrical problems, you can stay confident.
- Compared to the other digital multimeters you can get at this price range, the AstroAI 6000 Counts True RMS Digital Multimeter is very fast. The readings take less time, but they do not compromise the overall accuracy. This applies to all types of readings, including when you try to measure the total temperature.
- At first glance, the AstroAI 6000 Counts True RMS Digital Multimeter seems like a perfect product. However, some of the convenience-focused features can cause some hassles at times. For instance, we have to consider the magnet built into the back of the multimeter. This magnet may pick up some pins and screws, messing with your flow.
- Some customers also mention that the manufacturer does not update the advanced features to suit the current requirements. So, there are times when you cannot quite get the ideal experience you will expect from these features. There are also discrepancies in enabling and turning on some options from the package.
True RMS reading is indeed a fantastic feature to have in this package. When you read it alongside options like temperature tracking and auto-ranging options, the AstroAI 6000 Counts True RMS Digital Multimeter becomes the most comprehensive option in the market. We should also appreciate the 3-year after-sales support and lifetime technical support from the company.
Sure, the AstroAI 6000 Counts True RMS Digital Multimeter is not the most comprehensive electrical testing kit in the market. However, we can recommend to professionals and ultimate beginners alike one of the few multimeters.
Even when we discount all the advanced features, the multimeter can offer the best accuracy. It is also great to use this single device to measure temperature and diode continuity among the standard metrics. While there are some areas where the manufacturer can improve things, it is the best multimeter under $50 you can find in 2021.
Alternative: Greenlee 600V Auto-Ranging Digital Multimeter
- Range: Automatic
- Voltage: 600V
- Ampere: Yes
- Resistance: 40M
We believe the Greenlee 600V Auto-Ranging Digital Multimeter is an impressive alternative if you want to spend more for accuracy.
Compared to the other multimeters we have tested, this package does not seem so wholesome. However, it gets several aspects right, which matters a lot when you have to work on diverse electrical projects.
- Probably the best thing about the Greenlee 600V Auto-Ranging Digital Multimeter is that it packs the privileges of a lifetime warranty. It means you can take the multimeter to even the riskiest scenarios and expect the best safety and accuracy.
- The auto-ranging multimeter comes with an impressive set of features as well. Since the package is made of the essential tools you need, you can take this accuracy-focused DMM straight to work. You can also benefit from the large, easy-to-read displays on this device.
- While the manufacturer does not offer a list of all the options you can test, the multimeter should be a sufficient companion for most people. With up to 360 hours of average battery life and construction using ABS, this product can assist you in almost all types of projects.
- It would be nice if the manufacturer could add a few more accessories to the package. As of now, we are stuck with a pair of leads only. Considering that the company charges a considerable amount for the device, it would be nice to see an NCVT.
- We must also note that the Greenlee 600V Auto-Ranging Digital Multimeter is overpriced. When we compared it with our first pick, we wanted to see more features in the package. Therefore, it may not be the most cost-effective pick.
Like the many other multimeters we have used, the Greenlee 600V Auto-Ranging Digital Multimeter also has a dual-fuse system. This extra protection matters when you want to use the device in extreme conditions. It is also a significant investment.
We have to repeat this: you can consider the Greenlee 600V Auto-Ranging Digital Multimeter if you can pay for extra accuracy. However, the device does not offer as many convenience-based features as we have seen in other products.
Alternative: INNOVA 3320 Auto-Ranging Digital Multimeter
- Range: Auto
- Voltage: Yes
- Amps: Yes
- Resistance: Yes
Suppose you are looking for an auto-ranging digital multimeter that does not cost a lot. In that case, you can consider buying the INNOVA 3320 Auto-Ranging Digital Multimeter. It is a great package with an intuitive design and easy-to-use guides.
- First and foremost, the INNOVA 3320 Auto-Ranging Digital Multimeter comes with the different types of certifications you need for a secure experience. It is also one of the best automotive multimeter devices in the market.
- The large display and the auto-ranging function improve the accuracy and convenience while using the product. The color-coded LED system is far more helpful than you imagine, and you can even see the battery status from there.
- While it may not be your first concern while choosing a multimeter, the INNOVA 3320 Auto-Ranging Digital Multimeter has an impressive design. The design makes it easy for you to hold the multimeter, and, for sure, the device looks dope.
- If we compare the product with the ones we have covered so far, the INNOVA 3320 Auto-Ranging Digital Multimeter packs fewer accessories than it should. For instance, the package contains nothing more than the DMM and the leads.
- We also miss some advanced features like data saving and frequency measurements. You will have to upgrade to an overpriced model if you need features like temperature tracking, duty cycle tracking, and storage case protection.
The INNOVA 3320 Auto-Ranging Digital Multimeter does not come with any extra feature worth noting. We would have loved to see some, though, especially considering that you pay almost the same as our runner-up pick.
If you are looking for a basic yet auto-ranging digital multimeter under $30, you can consider getting it. We also think you will have a better experience using this multimeter in automotive scenarios. You are getting a superb-looking device as well.
Alternative: Tekpower TP8260L Analog Multimeter
- Range: Manual
- Voltage: 1000V
- Amps: 10A
- Resistance: Yes
As the name says, the Tekpower TP8260L Analog Multimeter is entirely analog, and you have to rely on the pointer to understand the measurements. If you are used to an analog multimeter and want to retain its feel, we think you should consider this machine.
- It is one of the most accurate analog multimeters in the market if you are used to analog systems. It even comes with an impressive design, which even has a backlit display and transistor checking dock. All these features come in handy during multiple scenarios.
- The manufacturer ships the Tekpower TP8260L Analog Multimeter with a protective case, which we do not see in most packages. However, you get a warranty of only one year, which is a number that does not surprise us as such.
- Despite the lower cost of the product, it has a maximum capacity of 1000V. It translates to a better compatibility line while dealing with electrical and automotive projects. You can also count on the continuity and decibel value measurement systems.
- Apart from the typical disadvantages of an analog multimeter, we could not find any problem with this product. In the grand scheme of things, the accuracy of the machine does not make a difference, but it is tough to look at the figures.
We could not find many extra features in this package.
We cannot recommend the Tekpower TP8260L Analog Multimeter to everyone. But, if you are comfortable working with an analog multimeter, it is a great choice. The only problem is accuracy, though you can fix it with some experience.
Best Multimeter FAQ
What is the easiest multimeter to use?
If you look from an accessibility point of view, a digital auto-ranging multimeter is the easiest to use. As you can guess, you do not have to set up the range manually.
The device will choose the same for you. Because it is digital, you can get accurate measurements on all kinds of metrics. These features mean that you can stay confident about the numbers you can screen on the digital display.
How do I choose a good multimeter?
The first thing is to look for the things you would want to measure. Sometimes, you want to measure only the basic things like voltage, ampere, and resistance.
However, there are times when you need to expand to a few options like continuity and temperature. Once you have fixed the things you want to measure, you can look at the famous brands. You have to choose between auto-ranging and manual-ranging multimeter options from these brands.
Last but not least, you will also have to make the selection from analog/digital MMs out there. While this process may seem complicated, our pick of the best multimeters can make it way easier.
What does TRMS 6000 Counts mean?
TRMS 6000 Counts refers to the accuracy of the value shown on a digital multimeter. If you see TRMS 6000 on a multimeter, it means the machine will drop a digit whenever the value crosses 6000 counts.
As we said, this measure ensures that the numbers you see on the multimeter are accurate. You should get a TRMS 6000 machine instead of one that does not have this option.
Which is better, analog or digital multimeter?
In terms of accuracy and usability, digital multimeters are better than analog multimeters. The reason is so simple. You can look at each value with maximum precision with a digital multimeter.
It also means the DMM can show a wide range of values. On the other hand, an analog multimeter is unlikely to deliver that level of precision. You may have to second-guess a figure or two.
Which multimeter have you selected from the ones we have recommended?
Considering that you need one of these machines when you get started with electrical or automotive projects, we must mention that you should be ready to invest heavily in something.
Having an accuracy-oriented multimeter is better than saving a couple of dollars, you know.