What’s the Best Circuit Breaker Finder in 2021?
Generally speaking, you cannot have too many circuit breakers in your electrical setup.
It translates to better safety, right? The real problem appears when you want to determine which circuit breaker responds to which outlet/light/switch, though.
|#1||Klein Tools ET310 AC Circuit Breaker Finder||9.8/10||Check Price|
|#2||Ideal Industries IDI61534 Digital Circuit Breaker Finder||9.6/10||Check Price|
|#3||Triplett Sniff-It Automatic Circuit Breaker Locator||9.5/10||Check Price|
|#4||Klein Tools ET300 Circuit Breaker Finder||9.4/10||Check Price|
|#5||Extech 1218G94EA CB10 Circuit Breaker Finder||9.3/10||Check Price|
You will have to toggle each circuit breaker before recognizing the one you need. If you have a small household, it is an easy task. But, as the house becomes more extensive and the number of circuit breakers increases, things will become problematic.
The process of finding the correct circuit breaker becomes a two-person job and involves a lot of shouting. An exception here is when you have already mapped the circuit breaker board according to where the lights and outlets are located. But that is too ideal to be true.
Therefore, portable circuit breaker finders become the best friend an electrician or contractor could have. Even when you want to ensure maximum safety before repairing something at home, it makes sense to turn off the circuit breaker. In other words, a circuit breaker finder is a time-saving tool that you may need more often than you think.
As is the case with most electrical equipment, circuit breaker finders also come in different sizes and shapes. Picking the right one from the collection can be a little confusing. Between digital circuit breaker finders and analog circuit breaker finders, you have many options to choose from.
We know how difficult it is to make a pick, and we wanted to offer some help. Here, we have listed five of the best circuit breaker finders you can buy in 2021. Do not worry; we have ensured that the list is as diverse as possible.
So, even if you cannot spend a considerable amount, you can still get a decent companion for your electrical projects or shenanigans.
Best Circuit Breaker Finder – Reviews & Buying Guide for 2021
Winner: Klein Tools ET310 AC Circuit Breaker Finder
- Material: PC and PC-ABS
- Size: 10.96” x 2.16” x 1.39”
- Weight: 7.2oz
Reliability is one thing you should not compromise while choosing a circuit breaker finder. If the detection is not correct, everything goes to waste.
However, you can blindly buy the Klein Tools ET310 AC Circuit Breaker Finder from that point of view. This product combines the best build quality and features so much so that you can use it to find circuit breakers for years.
- Locating the correct circuit breaker is a straightforward task when using this compact device. It comes with everything you need to get started. Once you have connected the transmitter to the outlet and the receiver to the circuit board, you will get visual and audio confirmation from the device. Its multi-signal design is a blessing for those who have just begun with electrical setups.
- The included GFCI outlet tester becomes quite a helpful tool. If you have GFCI devices in your wiring setup, the transmitter can give you an overview of the wiring condition. You can easily detect open ground, hot ground, open hot, correct wiring, and other results based on the provided table. When not in use, the multipurpose transmitter connects to the receiver and stays accessible.
- It is also significant that the transmitter of the Klein Tools ET310 AC Circuit Breaker Finder is optimized for North American-style grounded electrical outlets. You can use the three-pin plug to connect to most outlets in your household/commercial space. Because the device can operate on 90V to 120V circuits, you do not have to worry about compatibility.
- Even though its basic design connects to power outlets only, the Klein Tools ET310 AC Circuit Breaker Finder transmitter works with many optional accessories. You can hook up the transmitter with these accessories to find the circuit breaker for other appliances, including lights, microwave, or a television and sound system.
- Klein Tools has used some of the best materials to construct this circuit breaker finder. The housing of the device is made using PC and PC-ABS material. Thousands of customer reviews for the product ensure that the housing can last as long as the electronic components inside. Altogether, this circuit breaker finder is a durable investment.
- Like most other electronic tools, the Klein Tools ET310 AC Circuit Breaker Finder may also give you a false positive sometimes. However, compared to the accuracy of its competitor products, we will say it does not matter. By the way, you should also see if the receiver of the product works with the old type of circuit breakers you may have.
We think the included GFCI tester is a valuable accessory to every electrician out there. Once you have found out which circuit breaker is responsible for the outlet, you can also check the grounding status of the outlet. It is an extra step you can take in terms of security. Considering that you do not pay anything extra, it seems to be of exceptional value.
If you were to buy a product with the same features from another brand, you might have to pay double what this product costs. At the same time, you do not have to compromise for a lesser-known brand, either. For reference, Klein Tools has been active in the industry for almost two centuries, and you would love its after-sales options.
The Klein Tools ET310 AC Circuit Breaker Finder packs almost every feature you need in an essential kit to fix and maintain your residential electrical setup. Although the package contains many extra features, they do not seem to impact the overall price much.
In the end, you have to pay what you would typically pay for a device of this sort. We can recommend this circuit breaker finder as a product you cannot go wrong about in light of all these.
Runner-up: Ideal Industries IDI61534 Digital Circuit Breaker Finder
- Material: Plastic
- Size: 7” x 2” x 1”
- Weight: 12oz
If you need a more premium circuit breaker finder than our first pick, you can consider the IDI61534 Digital Circuit Breaker Finder from Ideal Industries. This device caters to customers who prioritize commercial compatibility over affordability despite its expensive pricing.
Complementing the amount it charges, the device has accommodated an excellent number of features. As you would expect when paying an extra amount, it also comes with a GFCI tester.
- You will thank the ergonomic design of the Ideal Industries IDI61534 Digital Circuit Breaker Finder for detecting the correct circuit breakers as quickly as possible. If you have some experience with circuits and wiring, you will not have trouble using the product. You do not have to worry about the compatibility aspects also.
- Compared to our winner pick, the receiver in the package offers more features. It can automatically shut down if it is left idle for 10 minutes. You can also count on the alerts to see if you have enough battery inside. The system is helpful for those who throw in the circuit breaker finder in their bag all the time.
- As we mentioned, a GFCI tester is included in the package. It will analyze the GFCI device for potential problems in the wiring when you connect the transmitter. You can examine the list of options to detect what you can do about the issue. This extra step will keep you safe while taking your projects to semi-commercial or commercial environments.
- The Ideal Industries IDI61534 Digital Circuit Breaker Finder comes with a comparatively higher range, which is convenient. The NCV sensor can gather readings in the 80V to 300V AC range as for the statistics. Similarly, the transmitter will efficiently work on 120VAC circuits as well. It can also recognize the wiring configuration in no time.
- Even though it comes with a few good features, the Ideal Industries IDI61534 Digital Circuit Breaker Finder has an ancient design. It would certainly not match the other equipment you may have on your modern electrical kit. We also think the manufacturer could have chosen another battery type for it. The current process is a little too complicated.
- We do appreciate the features like auto-turn off and the included GFCI tester. Nevertheless, it is worth noting that the product is expensive. Of course, you should be ready to spend more on the commercial compatibility sector to buy this circuit breaker finder. In reality, though, you can spend a few more dollars and get a decent circuit analyzer.
- Even though the circuit breaker from Ideal Industries is great, it is unclear whether you can avail of the warranty if you use it for commercial needs. We should also note that some customers talk about occasional false positives on this device. That is not something we would expect while paying a premium price. On the bright side, the defect-based warranty coverage is pretty solid with the brand.
We mentioned that the Ideal Industries IDI61534 Digital Circuit Breaker Finder has an old design. However, it also means you can enjoy better compatibility with various accessories in the market. Finding the right set of tools to connect lights and switches with the transmitter would not be challenging when you have a device from Ideal Industries.
Even though there are some concerns over the warranty, this circuit breaker finder comes with approval for commercial use. It means you do not have to change the device when you shift from residential spaces to commercial spaces. At the same time, you should see if the wiring configuration in the space comes under the specified range.
Sure, there are a couple of bottlenecks with this product. However, none of them should stop you from using the circuit breaker finder in residential and semi-commercial spaces.
You have also seen that the Ideal Industries IDI61534 Digital Circuit Breaker Finder comes with a durable design and additional features. Both these factors contribute to how long you can use the product. Despite all these, you must have a larger budget to afford this product.
Alternative: Triplett Sniff-It Automatic Circuit Breaker Locator
- Material: Plastic
- Size: 6” x 2” x 1”
- Weight: 5.6oz
The Triplett Sniff-It Automatic Circuit Breaker Locator is a piece of no-nonsense equipment you can include in your electrical kit. The product does not cost much either, which is another positive.
As you can guess, though, it does not offer as many additional features as you may have seen on other products. However, it keeps quite a few promises in terms of reliability.
- The simple design of the Triplett Sniff-It Automatic Circuit Breaker Locator means you can expect the device to work almost everywhere. You can simply plug in the transmitter and use the receiver in the usual manner.
- Even though the product does not charge you a lot, it does not have problems with accuracy. You are unlikely to see many false positives. Because of the dual-signal system, you can trust the input from the device.
- Triplett has done a great job of optimizing the product for varying needs. The circuit breaker finder comes with a range of 120V/220V and a maximum of 250 VAC. All these changes occur without user intervention, which is fantastic from the usability point of view.
- As you can see from the pictures, the Triplett Sniff-It Automatic Circuit Breaker Locator comes with a two-pin transmitter. Sure, you can connect it to three-pin outlets out there, but you cannot know more about the wiring configuration.
- To reduce the prices, the company makes a few compromises. For instance, some users have not received the 9-volt battery that you need to turn on the receiver. Of course, you can buy one at a minimal cost, but that is still an inconvenience.
We could not find any worth-mentioning extra features in the Triplett Sniff-It Automatic Circuit Breaker Locator package. However, we believe the company has done a great job of including the right set of documentation in the box.
In the end, the Triplett Sniff-It Automatic Circuit Breaker Locator is a product that does not let you down. A few concerns regarding build quality and convenience-oriented features may bother you, but you can ignore them if you consider how much you are spending. As a simple alternative to the circuit breaker finders on the list above, this product can impress you.
Alternative: Klein Tools ET300 Circuit Breaker Finder
- Material: Plastic
- Size: 6” x 0.91” x 2”
- Weight: 3.2oz
If you think the Klein circuit breaker finder we chose as the winner is a little too expensive, you should check out this product.
As an alternative to the product mentioned above, the Klein Tools ET300 Circuit Breaker Finder does an impressive job. Among other things, you also get a bunch of extra features we could not see on the device.
- Compared to the competitors in the market, the Klein Tools ET300 Circuit Breaker Finder is compact and easy to handle. You can dock the transmitter to the back portion of the receiver, and you would have an easy-to-carry-around system.
- Despite being small, the device can work under challenging conditions. For instance, the distance coverage of the system is up to 1000 feet. Similarly, the operation range stays between 90V and 120V. These figures are impressive, coming from a low-cost product.
- You also have access to reliable numbers and auto power-off features. Therefore, you can expect the device to run longer on the battery. Thanks to the compatibility offered by the manufacturer, you can connect the circuit breaker finder to many accessories as well.
- Like the premium product from the same maker, this device can indicate the correct circuit breaker through the green arrow light and the beeping sound. However, you are dealing with a two-pin adaptor.
- In comparison, the Klein Tools ET300 Circuit Breaker Finder shows more false positives than you will typically expect. Also, the company could have improved the trigger system, which is somewhat inconvenient at this point.
Apart from the automatic turn-off feature, the product does not have noteworthy additional options. Again, you cannot expect many features when you pay a small amount.
If you are looking for a compact yet modern circuit breaker finder, you should see the Klein Tools ET300 Circuit Breaker Finder as a good alternative. However, when you do that, you will have to compromise the accuracy and durability of the product. If you can live with these bottlenecks, though, you will have a circuit breaker finder that lasts for a couple of years of continuous use.
Alternative: Extech 1218G94EA CB10 Circuit Breaker Finder
- Material: Plastic
- Size: 8.5” x 2.2” x 1.5”
- Weight: 5.9oz
Are you looking for a product that brings the best of affordability and rich features? In that case, you should take a look at the Extech 1218G94EA CB10 Circuit Breaker Finder. This battery-powered system packs a few features that you would love without asking for too much. Comparatively, you benefit from a better build quality as well.
- Compared to the products you can get at this price, the Extech 1218G94EA CB10 Circuit Breaker Finder is very accurate. Thanks to the variable accuracy system of the product, you will not have any trouble locating the correct circuit breaker in question.
- The transmitter of the system also works to know the wiring conditions. You can analyze the combination of the red and light LEDs on the transmitter to see if the wiring is correct or some fix-worthy problems.
- The push-button GFCI test also comes in handy at times. You can store the transmitter in the docking space once you have finished the test. Once again, the results are great when you rely on the graphics data provided by the company.
- The Extech 1218G94EA CB10 Circuit Breaker Finder complies with almost every safety system. Thus, you do not have to worry about faulty issues while using the product. We also noticed that the circuit breaker finder shows fewer false positives.
- It is not a drawback, but you may have to spend more time understanding the variable sensitivity part of the device. Otherwise, the product may give you inaccurate judgments, which are not good in an electrical setup.
We could not find any worth-mentioning extra features in this package.
Here is the thing. The Extech 1218G94EA CB10 Circuit Breaker Finder is not the most premium or rugged-built circuit breaker finder out there.
However, if you value the additional features like the configuration checker and GFCI testing, you can consider buying this product. We should mention that the product, despite its good-looking design, is made of plastic.
Circuit Breaker Finder FAQ
Do circuit breaker finders work?
They most definitely do work. As you can see, you can use the circuit breaker finder to locate which circuit breaker is responsible for the outlet, switch, or light in question. It is a great way to determine this without a few exchanges of power toggles and shouting from multiple rooms.
How do I know what amp breaker I need?
The best way to do it is to look at the circuit breaker itself. Each of these products would come with a set of specifications, including the amperage it requires. However, if you have confusion, you can get in touch with the manufacturer or tech support.
How do I find the circuits in my house?
The first thing to do is to look at the electrical service panel. This panel allows you to find almost every piece of control for the household. In most cases, you may be able to find a few circuit breakers only. Then, you can use a circuit breaker finder to locate which circuit breakers control which part of the circuit.
How do I find a circuit breaker in a dead outlet?
You can use circuit breaker finders for this purpose, but you must be careful. As you may have noticed, most circuit breaker finders have a transmitter powered by the outlet.
However, you can get a device with a standalone transmitter as well. You should get one of these, and you can find the correct circuit breaker for the dead outlet.
Depending on how much you can spend and the features you need, you can choose between the options on the list. You must also consider the quality of the product before you invest.
For instance, if you want to pay a vast amount, make sure that you get one of the best circuit breaker finders that last for a decade or so.