What’s the Best Electrician Tool Bag in 2022?
Electricians heavily rely on their tools for all types of work. Their craftsmanship blooms when introduced with the right equipment, but these right equipment need to be easily accessible to help them work efficiently, and that is where a good quality sturdy tool bag comes into the picture. Your search for the best electrician tool bag starts here.
|#1||Klein Tools 554158-14 Tradesman Pro Tote||9.7/10||Check Price|
|#2||Carhartt Legacy Tool Bag||9.6/10||Check Price|
|#3||CLC Custom LeatherCraft 1539||9.5/10||Check Price|
|#4||DEWALT DG5597 Open Top Tool Carrier||9.3/10||Check Price|
|#5||McGuire-Nicholas 22015 15-Inch Collapsible Tote||9.2/10||Check Price|
Having a tool bag will make your life easier as you can easily transport all your tools without any hassle. With these bags, you stay organized, and you can easily spot your devices even in a hurry.
Gone were the days when using regular bags did the work; these smart utility bags will help you be more productive while making you look professional.
Best Electrician Tool Bag – Reviews & Buying Guide for 2022
Winner: Klein Tools 554158-14 Tradesman Pro Tote
Our first winner for the best electrician tool bag is Klein Tools 554158-14 Tradesman Pro Tote. This product is better than a leather electrician tool bag in durability and usage. Let us look at some of the features and drawbacks to help you understand this product’s specs.
- Manufacturer: Klein – Geneva Supply
- Product Size: 12.7 x 10.5 x 9.3 inches
- Product Weight: 5 pounds
- Material: 1680d Ballistic Weave
- Warranty: Limited 6 months
- Klein Tools 554158-14 Tradesman Pro Tote is a sturdy bag made out of 168 Old Ballistic Weave. The bag comes with a fully molded bottom that makes the bag ultra durable.
- The bag has 20 pockets for neater and more excellent tool arrangement. All individual pockets are perfect for storing most of the tools.
- The rigid plastic at the bottom makes sure that the tools don’t get wet while working in damp or muddy areas.
- The bag also includes a large zipper for storing small tools and little knick-knacks like nails or washers.
- The bag has a dual carrying option- a padded shoulder strap for heavy tools and a quick pick-up handle for swift and easy carrying.
- This product has an open mouth that instantly helps you reach for the tools.
- The bag is conceptualized and designed in the U.S.A, so you have an assurance of its quality. This company is a leading brand for electrical tools since 1875, so their products are well manufactured and durable with no doubt.
- The bag has a flat side, making it easy for you to carry this around. The bag does not bounce around the hip awkwardly while walking.
- This Tradesman Pro Tote tends to tip over constantly. The result is a tipping bag that frequently spills all the tools. It would help if you supported the bag against something that will pinch and hold it between two sides for the bag to stay erect.
- The bag is hefty to carry around even while it is empty. The extra weight makes it challenging to carry around when the bag is packed with tools.
- The pockets are very deep; once a tool goes inside, it becomes tough to retrieve it. These deep pockets are not ideal if you are in a hurry.
The bright orange lining is a great feature to help you find your tools quicker. Often, you might need to rummage around with standard black bags, but Klein Tools took care of the problem by providing an excellent, bright inner lining.
If you wish to purchase a heavy-duty top-notch tool bag, we will congratulate you on your new bag. Go ahead and buy this one for its looks, durability, and extra tool visibility feature.
Runner-up: Carhartt Legacy Tool Bag
Carhartt Legacy Tool Bag secured the runner-up position because of its excellent features and built quality. This known brand has studied most of its customers’ pain points and launched a product that works like a charm. Let us look at a few of its benefits and cons to understand the product better.
- Manufacturer: 5 Horizons Group
- Product Size: 16.4 x 11 x 13 inches
- Product Weight: 1.32 pounds
- Material: Synthetic fabric
- Warranty: Limited
- This robust bag has 23 exterior pockets and 11 interior pockets in total. These pockets serve as perfect cubbies to keep all your tools in one place. Even a tiny screwdriver won’t get lost in this bag.
- This Carhartt Legacy Tool Bag has a zipper on the main body to keep everything from falling or spilling out.
- This zipper bag is equipped with a metal framing for easy tool access at the mouth. Your zipper won’t collapse once the bag is open; on the contrary, it will stay wide open till you manually close it.
- This sturdy bag has a triple needle stitch construction, heavy-duty YKK zippers, and good quality metal hardware for added security.
- The durable synthetic fabric has a Rain Defender Coat®. The bag is water repellent and keeps your tools safe during unexpected water splash accidents or even during monsoon.
- The bag has a custom-molded abrasion-resistant base for extra strength and a waterproof base. Your tools won’t suffer any damage even when the ground is rough.
- The bag features a shoulder strap that comes with an anti-slide pad. Along with that, the bag has a webbing haul handle secured with a comfortable grip that doesn’t allow your hands to bear any pressure.
- This product is the best tool bag for electricians to use when they are on the go.
The sides of this bag are not at all hard-shelled. This drawback makes the side walls fold on each other after storing all your tools. You will indeed have a very hard time finding tools in the middle of the bag.
The bag is available in 2 varieties; namely, DURAVAX™ abrasion-resistant base and custom molded abrasion-resistant base. You can choose whichever base according to your needs and line of work.
This product is a perfect buy if you wish to own a zipper tool bag with many compartments. The quality will speak for itself as Carhartt is well known on the market for its durable products.
Alternative: CLC Custom LeatherCraft 1539
Our first alternative on this list is the CLC Custom LeatherCraft 1539. This solid functional bag is an excellent product for all the electricians and handypersons who do not like having their tools hanging outside. Let’s read the drawbacks, benefits, and buying advice to help you figure out the product.
- Manufacturer: Custom Leathercraft
- Product Size: 18 x 14 x 7 inches
- Product Weight: 4.6 Pounds
- Material: Polyester / Polypropylene
- Warranty: Limited
- CLC Custom LeatherCraft 1539 bag comes with 50 pockets to help you stay highly organized.
- The vertical tools pocket’s unique design keeps your small tools within your eyesight. You can easily find those tools within seconds and avoid rummaging around. It will save a lot of time during those tedious electrical work.
- This best electrician tool bag is made of a heavy-duty poly fabric body with poly ballistic trim and binding for a super rugged exterior.
- The bag has a large center to store many tools, which usually do not fit in a standard electrical tool bag.
- This electrician backpack tool bag has a zipped side panel to keep the tools intact and discourages the bag from spilling out the tools.
- The zipper has a metal frame for easy access. You can quickly dive in and retrieve your tools without getting annoyed with the zipper flaps.
- This CLC Custom bag has adjustable padded shoulder straps. Even the handheld handles are padded to provide extreme comfort to your wrists.
- The quality zippers keep all your tools secure during transit. None of your electrical devices stay out or hang outside; each gizmo stays securely tucked inside the bag.
CLC Custom LeatherCraft 1539 has outdone other bag models in fabric quality, but it lacks hardware. This model’s hardware tends to break or fall apart just after a few months.
This electrician tool bag includes a carabiner and a measuring tape clip on the exterior for quick use.
We recommend that you waterproof the product as the bag isn’t rain-resistant. There are many waterproofing agents available in the market that can easily take care of this. Once it’s waterproofed, the bag will serve you well for more than four years.
Alternative: DEWALT DG5597 Open Top Tool Carrier
DEWALT DG5597 Open Top Tool Carrier is a great tool bag from a famous and trusted brand. We recommend that you go through its features, drawbacks, and buying advice to understand this product even better.
- Manufacturer: Dewalt
- Product Size: 15 x 11.5 x 17.8 inches
- Product Weight: 1 pound
- Material: Poly and ballistic poly fabric
- Warranty: Limited Lifetime
- This Dewalt electrician tool bag uses heavy-duty poly and poly ballistic fabric for a sturdy outer lining. The bag has sturdy base pads to protect the tool carrier’s bottom.
- This tool storage bag has 33 pockets to store all your tools in one place.
- DEWALT DG5597 Open Top Tool Carrier features a metal handlebar padded with a soft roll cushion for quick lifting purposes. The metal pad collapses to the side and allows excellent visibility and access to all the tools inside.
- Apart from the metal handlebar, this bag has an adjustable non-slip padded shoulder strap if you decide to venture out and carry the toolbox for a long time.
- The open-top design eliminates the need to open and close zippers, helping in a more straightforward operation.
- The hard sides help the bag to stay erect without collapsing.
The handlebar tends to break as the rivets securing the bar are flimsy and cannot easily carry the entire electrical toolbox’s weight.
- The toolbox has a quick cinch feature with a utility knife pocket, measuring tape clip, and an electrical tape strap for storing and using these devices with ease.
This bag is a good buy for people who do basic electrical jobs as heavy tools will make the device heavy, increasing the chances of a broken handlebar. We wish the product came with a bright interior lining like the same strip that the product showcases at the front.
Alternative: McGuire-Nicholas 22015 15-Inch Collapsible Tote
Our last contender for the alternatives list is the McGuire-Nicholas 22015 15-Inch Collapsible Tote. This grey-colored multi-utility tool carrier is our last alternative with some excellent features. Look at the benefits and our buying advice to know more about this tool bag for electricians.
- Manufacturer: McGuire-Nicholas
- Product Size: 14.96 x 7.48 x 9.84 inches
- Product Weight: 2.2 Pounds
- Material: Polyester
- Warranty: NA
- This McGuire-Nicholas 22015 15-Inch Collapsible Tote comes with 14 exterior pockets in various sizes.
- The product fashions a tubular handle with a sturdy foam grip for carrying around the toolbox very quickly.
- The bag doesn’t collapse and stays wide open thanks to its sturdy thick insert.
- The bag is made out of poly/ nylon material of the most robust quality.
- As the features dictate, this is an excellent starting-out bag. People who always find it challenging to organize their tools can use this bag without overthinking. Because of the fabric’s durability, you can reuse this bag as a tool bag for organizing your home cleaning supplies. Cleaning supplies are lightweight, and even if the bag is busted, it will serve well for that purpose.
- The biggest drawback of this tool bag is the absence of an over-the-shoulder strap if you wish to carry it around on your shoulders.
- Consumers have noticed that the walls tend to be a little flimsy after several months.
Unfortunately, we weren’t able to find any extra feature worth mentioning.
Keep in mind that this bag is small in size. The tool bag is adequate to carry a few items. We highly recommend this bag if you intend to use this indoors.
Electrician Tool Bag Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What’s in an electrician’s tool bag?
An electrician’s tool bag is one of the essential things they might need on their job applications. A tool bag is a handy bag that houses all of their tools, be it big and heavy or small and light.
Some of the essential tools that you can find in a bag includes:
- Multimeter– to measure electrical properties like the voltage, current, etc.
- Voltage tester – to test and see whether the wire or device is “live” or not.
- Wire stripper– to cut the insulation strip of the wire.
- Circuit finder– to help you trace a circuit.
- Various kinds of screwdrivers and nut finders- to wind or unscrew all types of screws.
- Pliers– to tighten or loosen the nut bolts and washers.
- Fish tape– to route new wiring through different walls and electrical conductors.
- Tape measure- to measure size or distance.
- Hammer– to hammer a nail or device.
- Level- to check the level of the work and avoid cross wirings.
- Torch- to help guide in dark basements and wall crawls.
- Utility knife– to cut various things.
What tools does a journeyman electrician need?
A journeyman electrician is different from the rest of the electricians. They are trained, adaptable masters of the electrical trade.
A journeyman can maintain and install all electrical systems in apartments, homes, strip malls, hospitals, schools, and various industries. They usually supervise the installations. Regardless of the job title, a journeyman electrician still needs his/her bag of trusty equipment.
They might need many tools depending on the type of trade. Below is a non-exhaustive list of tools that a journeyman’s bag include:
Arc Fault Breaker – This device is beneficial in breaking open circuits of home and other places.
Nut driver set – A nut driver tool set is essential for opening different nuts and bolts. These bolts can vary in size, so having a complete set for various nut sizes makes the job quicker.
GFCI Outlets – These outlets come in handy to help prevent electrocution. If someone starts to receive a shock, a GFCI Outlet stops the current and saves lives.
Cordless Drill with Hammer Function – These drills are perfect as they are comparatively lighter than traditional cord drills. You need not worry about the wire tangling, problems of socket finding; simply plug in the device, and you are ready to drill some holes.
Screwdrivers – Screwdrivers are necessary to open the electric meter boxes and any other device type. Screwdrivers come in the top 5 essential tools of the electrical trade.
Allen key – Allen keys are used to drive bolts and nuts with hexagonal sockets in the heads.
Adjustable wrenches – Adjustable wrenches will save you money on buying different-sized wrenches. Your bag will become significantly lighter as you will need to carry a single wrench rather than 5-6 ones.
Self-centering tape – This tape is a perfect tool for finding the center of the walls, hanging wires, and measuring the distance. Its self-rolling mechanism saves a lot of time.
Level – No one likes shabby lopsided work. If you are a professional, it is crucial that the result looks clean and is perpendicular to the desired wall or pole. A level will help you achieve that.
Ugly’s electrical reference – This book is a must-have tool for quick on-the-job calculations. The book has mathematics formulas, wiring configurations, voltage drops, conduit bending, National Electric Code tables, etc. Having this book in the bag will help you in numerous ways.
Longnose pliers – It is a fundamental yet vital tool to bend, cut, and reposition wires of all lengths.
Crimping pliers – A crimping plier uses force to crimp one or both parts to help them join with the sheer physics of ductility.
Hack saw – You can use a hack saw to cut electrical pipes, mostly PVC pipes or wood pieces and metal sheets, during electric work.
Tri square – Tri squares are very effective in checking the degrees of the work. These squares are a perfect 90⁰, and you can use them as guides in your projects.
Tin snips – As the name suggests, these snips are used to cut tin or other sheets with ease. The sharpness glides through the metal sheet as if you are cutting paper.
Channel locks – Channel locks are handy for crimping pipe ends or holding things. They come in handy if you work alone.
Wire stripper – You should avoid striping wires with your teeth, and this tool is perfect for that. You can easily snip the outer layer of the wires for your connections.
Other miscellaneous tools and things:
- Sharpie markers
- Locking storage box
- Extra wire
- Zip ties
- Safety glasses
- Electrical tape
- Foldable knife
Do electricians use wrenches?
Yes, electricians use wrenches to conduit fittings, tighten conduit, conduit connectors, and gang boxes. Most electricians these days carry just the socket heads for making their bags lighter.
You can even use speed wrenches in your projects. These speed wrenches typically work faster than a regular wrench. One useful type of wrench to carry is an adjustable wrench. You can use these types of wrenches to fit different bolts and nuts with just one tool.
Simply adjust the wrench with the help of the adjuster mechanism in the middle, and you are set to remove or tighten a bolt!
What size wrenches do electricians need?
Wrenches can be extremely heavy in your tool kit as they are pure metal sticks. Carrying the whole set will take up a lot of space, and your shoulders will hurt with the heavyweight. Therefore it is generally advised that you take a few wrenches that are most commonly used.
These sizes will work for most home and industrial electric fitting jobs. If you have to work for a mega big industrial project, we suggest that you take the whole kit as the nuts can be huge than the regular ones used in a household or public place.
The most common electric work sizes are SAE 3/8, 1/2, 9/16, 7/16; for larger switchgear, consider 3/4. The metric size will be 10, 12, 13, and 15 mm, respectively.
Electrical tool bags are significant, and it is quintessential that you have the best tool bag that stays with you for many years.
As the tools are heavy, you should always look for a sturdy and robust bag. We are optimistic that our mini electrician tool bag reviews would help you purchase your new tool bag. Always check for the number of compartments the bag offers; if you have many tools, try to get a larger sized bag with zippers and lots of compartments.
These bags are built for rugged use, so do not worry about handling them roughly, an occasional deep cleaning won’t harm the bag, and it will give you a chance to rearrange your tools.